Applications for admission and Scholarships
Master (by Research) or Ph.D.
Application for Master (by Research) or Ph.D. study
- How to apply:
- Master (by Research) or Ph.D. study
- If you are applying for a research programme, you are advised to contact a potential supervisor before making a formal application. As a guide, you may wish to briefly introduce yourself, explain your research interests and mention the supervisor’s research that you find interesting.
- Once you have already decided on the programme, you should familiarise yourself with the kind of supporting documents required. More details can be found here
- Following which, you should apply via our online application system in GPL website of NIE
- More details can be found from the following: Master’s and Ph.D. study by research
- Application for Admission: There are 2 intakes a year; in January and August.
- All scholarships for our programs are for full-time Ph.D. study.
- List of scholarships available:
- Nanyang President’s Graduate Scholarship
The Nanyang President's Graduate Scholarship (NPGS) is a competitive and prestigious sponsorship scheme designed to encourage outstanding graduates or final-year students to take their first step towards a leading research career by studying for a doctoral degree programme (PhD) at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), one of Asia's leading research universities.
- Nanyang Technological University Research Scholarship
Only PhD candidates with First Class Honours or Second Class (Upper Division) Honours or its equivalent are considered for the scholarship regardless of their citizenship. Applicants must, at the time of the award of the Research Scholarship, have been assured of admission as a full-time candidate for a higher degree by research of this University.
The basic requirements are: A Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree and the ability to pursue research in the candidate’s proposed field of advanced study.
International applicants are required to comply with the Standard Test Requirements listed below:
- TOEFL / IELTS
- GRE / GATE
Requirements in the English Language:
- Graduates of universities with non-English medium instruction are required to submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score, the test taken not more than two years before the date of application.
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score can be accepted in lieu of TOEFL. NIE may request additional evidence of written and spoken proficiency in English.
- Applicants pursuing research programmes, except for graduates of the Autonomous Universities in Singapore, are required to submit a good Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score, the test taken not more than five years before the date of application. In lieu of GRE, applicants from India may use the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) score of at least 90%, the test taken not more than two years before the date of application.
- Summary below:
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)||International English Language Testing System (IELTS)||Graduate Record Examination (GRE)||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) for applicants in India only in lieu of GRE||Remarks|
|Master’s and PhD by Research||Minimum score of 580 (for paper and pencil examination) or 237 (for computer-based test) or 92 (for internet-based).||Minimum score of 6.5||For tests taken prior to 1 August 2011:
Minimum score of 1200 for both Verbal and Quantitative sections. Minimum score of 3.5 for Analytical Writing section.
For tests taken on or after 1 August 2011:
Minimum score of 310 for both Verbal and Quantitative sections. Minimum score of 3.5 for Analytical Writing section.
|At least 90% score||TOEFL or IELTS and GRE or GATE are required.|